Before Christmas, “Super Edd” proposed the idea of a group escalation project – starting new armies, with monthly goals. Having a backlog of miniatures to paint, I signed up. I had been waiting for Betrayal at Calth to acquire a load of Mk4 Marines to build up as Space Wolves, but the wait was sufficient enough to put me off them. As much as I liked my prototype Space Wolf, the idea of painting an army of grey did not appeal.
Following on from the work in progress post I have been patiently working away on painting and assembling my hunters of the wild unit.
With the bases of main dryad figures being painted in separate pieces, I stuck the dryads to corks with PVA so they were easier to handle. These first two are painted as some form of vine, or strangling creeper plants. These are actually my favourite two poses it turns out as I worked on the group. The owl is from the Dryad kit, the other one I have (which I have put on my Greenwarden) is a much nicer model.
I recently received my Forces of Nature starter army as part of the Kings of War kickstarter. When it turned up and I started looking through it, it occurred to me that I hadn’t seen much in the way of pictures of the contents anywhere so I thought I’d take some picture and do some quick blue-tac assemblies of what things looked like. The mat I’ve used it on the 1cm square side up so that’ll give you additional idea of sizes.
I’ve been floating around concepts and very, very slowly sculpting miniatures for a game-world concept for a couple of years now. It’s tentatively called Creatures of the Night. Sometimes I refer to it as “Mat Zemlya”, which translates to “damp mother earth.”
The underlying theme of the game is the duality of day and night, with some units changing in power and abilities as the environment alternates. The concepts are heavily drawn from Slovak mythology and folklore, though I am not going to make that a restriction on my creativity. I like all things swamp, so there’s a lot of bog-dwelling creatures involved.
I’ve been using a simple and quick method for making my multibases lately that has raised a few questions as to what and how, so I thought a quick tutorial would be the best answer.
After using various expensive packaged basing materials and getting caught out when I used it all, I decided to work out my own supply.
I went to B&Q and bought a damaged sack of builder’s sand. It cost a whopping £1 and will last me years.
The Panzerfäuste: Mechanised Warfare in a Mythical Realm Kickstarter included some quaint building add-ons for the Gnomes. Whether I was going to decide to get into the game or not didn’t seem relevant – the buildings looked great and would be suitable for most of the games I play. They went on the wish list and I managed to acquire them early for a thorough review.
There are 4 buildings: